Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Top List of Things to Accomplish in Colorado

I was discussing with my friend, Heather, today on a run how some people, when I tell them my goals or what I have done since graduation, probably think I am going through some quarter life crisis. They question why I would live below the poverty line working at Smoothie Shops or Candy Stores when I have college degree, or why I have moved around so much since high school.

I would be lying if I said that it wasn't frustrating working hourly paying jobs all of the time and scraping to get by, but honestly, would I want it any other way at this point in my life? I look at my friends that have "real jobs" and realize that I have the rest of my life to perform a real job. How much longer do I have the opportunity to sell smoothies or advise people on what kind of candy they should buy! Since college, I have made it a goal for myself to enjoy each day as it comes and to not worry so much about the future. I try not to worry about money and somehow always get by. I like to say I live by the motto: "Money isn't everything" or "Wealth is of the heart and mind, not of the pocket." I have always been a goal oriented person, and so yes, I do have a goal of eventually going back to graduate school, but for now, why not enjoy the ride?

Of course, since I am in this beautiful state of Colorado, I feel as though I need to make a list of things to accomplish in the next year here (not in order of importance).

#1) Skydiving-Met a friend, Kyle, at Run Group, who used to instruct up in Longmont, CO. Definitely want to experience the rush!

#2) Tattoo-This has been something I have wanted for at least two years. Want to get a tree of life to symbolize growth, life, strength, etc. on my wrist.

#3) Skiing-Considering I bought the Rocky Mountain Super Season Pass and ski gear this one is a must. It has already been accomplished, but I have made it a goal of my own to go skiing at least once a week so that I get better.

#4) Av's Game-This one sounds lame, but I havent been to a pro hockey game in what seems like forever. A tragedy really.

#5) Run a marathon-This does not have to occur in Colorado, but has been my ultimate goal since college. It needs to happen somewhere.

#6) Relay-Want to get a group of local runners together to do a relay. Ever since River 2 Sea in college where Jeff got lost, I want to do one again. haha. Great Lakes Relay 2010 for all my Michiganer friends?

#7) Roadtrip-This goal need to be accomplished multiple times for I want to go to Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico.

#8) Hot Springs-Definitely want to try these out. Have heard so much about them!

#9) Off-roading-Gotta be some people that want to join me on this one.

#10) Camping in RMNP-Have been camping at pay as you go campsites in CO but I definitely want to true experience with a backpacking adventure.

#11) Concert at Red Rocks-Everyone raves about Red Rocks being an amazing venue. Considering that I am in love with music this one is a must.

#12) Adding to the list of 14ers-Gotta at least climb Longs and a few more in the next year.

#13) Tubing-Went tubing when I first got to CO in Lyons, CO but need to get a group to go with some beers.

#14) Brew Tours- Have done New Belgium but have many more to do (Coors, Avery, def want to do the Fort Collins bike brewery tour). I mean, come on, Colorado has the most microbreweries per square mile than any other state in the US!

#15) Volunteer at Animal Shelter or homeless shelter in Denver-Service work is a HUGE goal for me in the next year. For me, giving truly is far better than receiving.

#16) Snowshoeing-Definitely at the top of my Xmas list this year. :0 )

#17) XCountry Skiing

#18) Get a job at a running store-Sounds lame, but it has always been a dream of mine to work at a running store even for just a short period of time.

#19) Horseback riding-Have gone a few times back east, but would love to try it out in Colorado! Ok, now I just need to meet some friends with horses.

#20) Visit at least three other Colorado cities/towns- Colorado Springs, Vail, Breckenridge, Telluride, Salida.

#21) Sand Dunes!! Needs no explanation-Gotta get to that place!

#22) Start an inner city kids running group in Denver. This is a long term goal for me, but if I set my mind to it, I think it can be done!

Definitely will keep updating this list and documenting those that I have accomplished.

Remember: You only live once!

4 comments:

  1. Kylee, I love the blog - and Good For you, enjoy your time - you have a great outlook!!
    I actually started my own blog you may enjoy :)

    http://dynamicworkouts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm that link didn't post right, you may have to paste it into you window or try:

    [url=http://www.dynamicworkouts.blogspot.com]Dynamic Workouts Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your goals! Quite a list...as my time in KC starts to draw to a close, I too have been thinking about things I want to do before I leave. So much to live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ones you should add to your list


    Arches National Park Moab UT

    Headless Chicken Fest, Fruita, CO July

    Grand Canyon North Rim Sky Bridge UT

    Slot Canyon AZ

    Random road trip pick a direction, bring a tent.

    Brad Paisley w/ Darius Rucker Denver, CO September

    Colorado National Monument hike

    Driving through the desert with the top down

    Summit sunsets

    10 Hours to Vegas, Vegas baby…VEGAS!!

    ReplyDelete