Monday, March 22, 2010

The Trials and Tribulations of Training with a Triathlete.


Before a run on the South Boulder Creek Trail


26.2 and 70.3. The number of miles in a marathon and a Half Ironman. So why do I mention these numbers and what do they have to do with each other?

Meet Dan Simpson.

A recent transplant of Rochester, NY, Dan left his NYC professional job of 6 years at an environmental engineering firm to follow his dream of moving halfway across the US to Colorado. A former competitor in sprint triathlons, Dan decided with his sister to sign up and train for his first Half Ironman in Syracuse, NY to be held on September 19, 2010. What better place to train, than at altitude?

Flashback a few weeks ago. I received a message from Dan, who found me on the Boulder Fleet Feet Page, asking about local races. I responded by telling him about the local website with all Colorado races called Colorado Runner, and then offered to go on a run any time! I never would have thought that weeks later, he would have gone from complete stranger to becoming one of my biggest motivators.

Dan and I come from different backgrounds. Dan was a top notch Division 1 pole vaulter at SUNY Buffalo and I a Division 1 distance runner at the University of Richmond. He never even dabbled in endurance sports until post college, yet I am convinced from his stories that it is one of the best decisions he could have made. Now, I have had many friends, especially in Charlotte, that have been triathletes, but none of them have been strictly a triathlete-most do distance races and triathlons on the side. So needless to say, I was a little hesitant to start doing training runs with Dan. But to my surprise, he is right on my level on the running side of things and making strides towards getting better each day. Exactly the pace I need to be pushed, yet not too hard.

We have tried to consistently do one to two runs a week together and thus far they have been a success. I think that by working together towards our separate endurance race goals, Dan and I can bring unique things to each other's training. For instance, I am trying to add strength back into my training, and Dan always has a new Crossfit workout or video for me. Last week, we even did a crazy workout with his sister at Red Rocks in Golden, CO---a crossfit circuit type workout right out on the boulders. A natural athlete, Im convinced there isnt a sport that he isnt at least semi talented at. He even does yoga, something that I also need to motivate myself to start doing on a regular basis. I think that doing these extra strength and flexibility exercises is important for distance runners, who too often strengthen one muscle group over another, a leading cause of injuries. On the flip side, I bring years of distance running experience the table and can provide him helpful pacing information and even distance running workouts.

After our Red Rocks CHAD workout

Besides being talented endurance athletes, we are both motivational people. And when two driven, motivational people work together, it usually leads to attaining or even surpassing set goals. By bringing together our unique perspectives and experiences, we can challenge ourselves and strengthen our weaknesses. I look ahead with excitement, as we work together motivating each other towards greatness this fall (Syracuse 70.3: 9/19/10, Chicago Marathon: 10/10/10). Maybe triathletes arent so bad after all...

*You can follow Dan's journey towards his Half Ironman on his Facebook Fan Page: "Dan Simpson Road to 70.3 Ironman"-the more fans the better!*

And you can follow my training via my blog :0 )

Until next time, Trials of Miles...

1 comment:

  1. if you read born to run, they say yoga isn't too good for runners...it makes you go too deep into stretches for your body...but iw ould do all the other stuff like crossfit because it's a great company

    ReplyDelete