Monday, February 21, 2011

Sometimes change is inevitable

A lot can change in a month.

This is extremely evident in my life, since I wrote my last blog post. I turn 25 tomorrow, a quarter of a century...finally, I can rent a car without having to pay any extra fees (oh wait, I have never even tried to rent a car :0) ! Seeing as my sister turned 13 two weeks ago, I guess this is a big birthday for me. Oh the teenage days, how I am glad I don't have to relive those. It is funny---most of the people I run or train with in Colorado are older than me and to them, I seem like a young spring chicken. But most are not more than 10 years older than me, which makes me wonder, when is it that you start to feel old? Because in the 25 years I have been alive, I have not felt this way. I really am a big believer that you are only as old as you think you are. Age is just a number in my mind, Ive never really found it to be all that useful except for purchasing alcoholic beverages. Maybe keeping a youthful spirit is something a lot of people long to have, but for some reason lose it with time. Regardless, I digress.

Seeing as how this blog usually always shifts towards running, I will note that I recently left my coach, Steve Jones, and my few training partners in that group. Post collegiately, I never really thought I would have to deal with finding a suitable coach and group of training partners. I guess I just lived in this little world where I thought it would all just fall into place. Definitely not the case. In my opinion, if you want to be a very successful post collegiate athlete at a high level, it is essential that you have a coach that fits your training style, as well a group of supportive people that are there training and racing by your side. Now, I know, there are those runners out there that coach themselves and train by themselves and are successful. But how much of their potential are they really reaching training alone? Having others of a similar if not better ability train with, pushes your limits and challenges you as a runner and a person. (Note: This is just an opinion).

So about a month ago, I started to really think about how the training group and coach were fitting into my plan. Was it really working for me and was I enjoying it? The answer to both, was "no". My legs have been feeling stale, the training was not as fresh as I would have liked and wanted, and I just didn't find myself looking forward to workouts as much as I used to. So recently, I just decided that I was not a good fit for this group or vice versa, and I quietly left the group. It was a tough decision, but I was confident that it was a good one for me.

I know that for me to stay focused on my goals and stay motivated, I need to have a group of training buddies and a coach. I am grateful to have the Runner's Roost team as an extensive support system and racing team, and I love going to their fun runs all over the Denver metro area. But honestly, it is hard for me to drive all over the place to make it to these runs as part of my "hard" training. I love Runner's Roost as my support system at races, and as my fun group of people that I know I can count on for a great run on Weds nights---I am grateful to be an ambassador for their stores and for the sport.



But since a lot of the team members are located in Denver and in order for me to reach my goals, I need to also have more of a local group to train regularly with. So I decided to give the Boulder Express Training Group a try. A group of local Boulder area runners---they all take the sport seriously but love to have fun while training together towards their goals: . The group contains a lot of talent, and a lot of people who are regularly top placers in local and national races. They have a great coach, Lee Troop, whose training style is a little bit more tailored towards what I am used to. I realized throughout this whole group and coach searching process what I need in a coach and group. As an athlete I need: A clear line of communication with my coach,explanations to how and why the training is progressing the way that it is, a cohesive group that trains hard and supports each other but has fun. (Note for clarification: This group also has a racing team option that is sponsored, but you can also train with the group and race under a different sponsor. Mine, of course, is Runner's Roost).


So I met with Lee, and we discussed my goals and where I want to go. He was very receptive to my goals and how he thinks I can get there. We discussed my races--in my opinion, an important factor in accomplishing what you want to accomplish. For if you have no plan or reason as to why you are doing certain races, then why do them? All, races, in my opinion, should have a purpose, even if they are just for a workout. In the end, Lee convinced me that doing a spring marathon at Vermont City would not be my best option. He wants to mix up my training, and have me do some 5ks, 10ks, and a half marathon this summer to try and revive my stale feeling legs. Since I am just starting with him, it would be hard for me to adjust to his training in such a short period of time. I weighed out the options, and realized that he is right. If I really want to make a serious run at the trials, I need to trust my coaches training, give it my all in my training and racing, and feel good about everything going in to my race. If I would have stuck with my old plan, I simply felt like I was just going through the motions of training and may have just set myself up for failure at Vermont.

So basically, I will have one shot to make it happen in 2011. That shot will come once again at the 2011 Chicago Marathon. I am excited to go to Chicago again, despite the hot temps in 2010. Chicago was a great experience for my first marathon---flat, fast, and amazing crowds. I will be starting in the Elite Development crowd this year, which will make things a little less stressful at the start, and my good friend and training partner, Emma, will most likely be going to nursing school there so I would have the support of good friends, once again. And in the end, if I give it my best shot there and fall short, my dream will not end there. For just because we don't accomplish our dreams in one shot, we do not have to give up on them. Regardless of what happens, I will be in Houston in 2012. I plan on booking my airline ticket and hotel room soon, just so that I will be there, participant or not. I want to be there to support those that are my friends here and from afar, Caitlin Chrisman and Megan Hovis, as well as the other Charlotte Running Club members that have and will qualify, plus the my local friends that have done or will do the same. Plus, just the experience of being there seeing all of those runners who have sacrificed just as much as I have to reach there goal, will be worth it.

Since I have started training with the Boulder Express group, I can already tell this it is a better fit for me. I am happier, there is always a consistent group of 15-30 people there, and I feel as though I am moving forward towards my goal, rather than staying stagnant.

So yes, a lot has changed in my running in the past month, and I have learned a lot about what I want and need in my training to get where I want to go. I am grateful for all of those that I have had the chance to train with thus far and will have a chance to train with. My decision to change coaches and groups, was for the better for me, but it is just that. An individual choice for me and would not be the best option for everyone. I have a lot of respect for Steve Jones and those that train under him---and that will never change. But in the end, whether in running or life, you have to dig deep down and ask yourself, what is best for me? For that, my friends, is truly what is most important.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Kylie--always strong writing. I'm excited to see you succeed in your upcoming races and farther out goals. Wishing you the best, always.

    Great advice, to dig down deep and ask, what's best for me? You rock, keep it up, and age IS a state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Kylee! Happy Birthday! It is so awesome to have you apart of the Runners Roost Team! I'm sure that 2011 will be your best ever! Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nice post. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

    Thanks!

    Mandie Hayes
    mandie.hayes10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete